Confused about the recent 'Schrems II' decision on data transfers and what this might mean for your business?
On July 16, the Court of Justice of the European Union made its final ruling in Case C-311/18, Data Protection Commissioner v Facebook Ireland & Schrems. The Privacy Shield has been invalidated, the Standard Contractual Clauses (SCCs) remain valid, but the court has put more emphasis on obligations for parties using SSCs and implications for transfers outside the EEA more broadly.
The Clifford Chance Tech Group, together with Clifford Chance Applied Solutions, are delighted to invite you to join us on Thursday 24 September, 1 PM GMT (2 PM CET, 8 AM ET) for a webinar on this important ruling, which will feature top EU and US data protection experts from Clifford Chance.
During this webinar, these experts will be sharing their thoughts on topics and questions including:
- A recap on the Schrems II ruling by the CJEU and an update on the regulatory guidance to date.
- What does the ruling mean in practice for companies and organisations?
- What is the Brexit perspective and how will the outcome of Schrems II affect the UK's adequacy decision?
- A closer look at the US surveillance and security laws commented on by the CJEU and looking ahead at the EU - US privacy relationship post-Schrems II.
Thursday 24 September | Time: 1PM GMT (2PM CET, 8AM ET), 1 hour duration
- Andrei Mikes (moderator), Clifford Chance Amsterdam, Associate; Andrei specialises in technology related commercial contracting and tech regulatory matters. Andrei has experience in data landscaping and internet governance for global organisations.
- Arnav Joshi, Clifford Chance London, Senior Associate; Arnav specialises in strategic and programmatic legal advice on data privacy and protection, cybersecurity, digital ethics and artificial intelligence. Arnav leads Clifford Chance’s working group on Digital Ethics.
- Dessislava Savova, Clifford Chance Paris, Partner; Dessislava is a member of the firm's core Tech Group as the leader of the Corporate practice with particular interest in data, cyber, artificial intelligence and smart contracts. Dessislava is a member of our global Data Risk Team.
- Jennifer Paybody, Clifford Chance Applied Solutions, Head of Commercial; Clifford Chance Applied Solutions (CCAS) is Clifford Chance's legal technology company which recently launched Cross Border Publisher, a product which helps companies navigate the complexities of data protection.
- Megan Gordon, Clifford Chance Washington, Partner; Megan has a wide variety of experience in privacy and US data protection laws and regulations. She advises clients on how to manage risk exposure in a wide-variety of legal areas affecting companies and financial institutions conducting international business. Megan is a member of our global Data Risk Team.
- Pierre-André Dubois, Clifford Chance Brussels, Of Counsel; Pierre-André has over 25 years of specialised experience in privacy, data protection, cyber-security, and technology matters. Before joining Clifford Chance, he was Associate General Counsel and EU Director for Privacy, Competition and Litigation at Amazon Europe for several years, and subsequently Global Privacy Director & Data Protection Officer at Booking.com.
- Sanne Blankestijn, Clifford Chance Amsterdam, Associate; Sanne is an international lawyer specialising in employment and data protection law. She advises clients on the full range of data protection work with an emphasis on employment-related data protection.