Last week, I had the pleasure of attending Legal (R)evolution in Frankfurt for two days. One of my highlights was the key note speech by Trevor Faure titled "Smarter Law - Transforming Busy Lawyers into Business Leaders". Trevor has an amazing career as detailed through the use of The New York Times headlines! 

Historically, emotional intelligence has not been considered a key skill for lawyers or those in the legal industry but as Trevor reiterated using Roosevelt's words, "people don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care." 

Taking the time to understand your clients can really shape the conversations you are having, not just for lawyers but for those in the legal technology industry also. If you pause and listen to the words used, such as "I feel..." or "I just can't picture that..." you will begin to build a picture of which side of the brain your audience tends to use - but it is equally important to understand which side of your brain you use.  People constantly provide clues as to how they communicate, the skill is often in listening! 

"When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail" Abraham Maslow

Once you understand how to communicate with your clients, the key is realising what to communicate. Often those with a legal technology solution believe their solution can solve all of a client's problems. In reality, their product probably solves 20% of a problem but they may have access to other people or organisations who can help with the remaining 80%. Unfortunately, no one has a magic wand to solve all the problems of their clients, but they can work together to realise that legal technology is an answer... Not the answer. 

Not everything is a nail.